What's wrong with this photo? AND an ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Here it is, another ok-but-could-be-better photo. This photo tip is kind of an obvious one, but almost everything I have read about photography spends anywhere from one paragraph to one chapter about this.

What do you think?



I'll post the answer on Thursday. :)

and now - an ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

I was thinking, if you have photo tips that you find very helpful, or you learned something new that you would love to share, I would LOVE to have you as a guest blogger, right here on the My Town Shoot Out blog.

Just email me exactly what you'd like posted, attach any photos - and indicate where you want them in the post - along with your blog or website URL and I'll gladly post it, with a link back to you.

I will post them as I get them, there are no deadlines.

The breadth of topics is wide, and if I get doubles that are sent close together, I'll either combine them or email the person who sent it in second (or third or whatever) back and let you know that it has been covered. If I combine them, it will be because the angle on the same topic is different, and if I email you it's because the angle was very similar.

Any takers?

goettin@gmail.com

Can't wait to hear from you!

Comments

  1. Jen, I haven't got a clue as to what's wrong with this photo. I think Sasha looks perfect. : ) That is Sasha, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nose is perfectly clear but the eyes are blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the center of depth is off. It's set on the nose, but IMO it should be the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what's 'wrong' with it. Sometimes that depends on what you want out of a photo. I think it would be great if there were _more_ difference in focus between the eyes and the nose. With the nose in focus and the eyes way back.
    The point might be that our gaze is sent in conflicting directions. We're pulled toward the focussed nose in the lower right, but the dog's gaze is off to the left where nothing is happening.
    Also, the overall coloring is quite bland, and the background grid is distracting.

    My photo tip is a kind of one way to keep a lot of different photo tips in mind:
    Pay Attention to what is in the frame.
    Not just your subject, but everything else. The position of the subject. How it's lit. What is in focus, & what isn't.
    Take the time to notice everything in your photo, and if you need to step to the side to change the background, or squat down, or stand (gently) on the car, or walk half a block for a better lighting angle or perspective, just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, humans would focus on the eyes, but from the dogs' view, it is just right. It's all about the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Depth of field is off. While you would likely want the pup's whole face in focus, you don't want the background. My question is - what would you do to make it better? I've seen a tip at photojojo to walk further away and zoom in to ensure the background remains soft, while getting the whole face in focus. For those of us with manual settings, I would think you would change f-stops, but which one? I always end up playing with them and when I look later, pick the one I like best. I haven't yet built enough experience to immediately know which one would work best in any given circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I can't say. But I am happy Jen is going to keep the photo tips going. I like to see everyone's take on what is wrong with photos. I love the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing wrong is you weren't close enough to get a big wet kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with those who said the eyes should be in focus. It makes her look like I feel - tired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think the depth of field could be extended just enough to catch the eyes. And I'm thinking I'd want to crop it a little wider in the bottom right corner. For me, I also find that the longer I look at any photograph, the more I begin to like it...I'm not good at judging because I'd give everyone tens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Including all statements made, I give up :) Just tell us please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read Jen's hint. "A sentence to a paragraph." Think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think, in the comments below: