A Question from Kerry

On Good Friday our topic is 'Bokeh or Hands by T’ and Kerry the excellent player that she is looking ahead and asking, "Is there somebody out there who would like to coach us on how to get the bokeh effect, using simple digital cameras?  It would be fun to know."
Kerry

DSC09261 A quick look in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh says, "In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur,  in out-of-focus areas of an image, or "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light."  Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting— "good" or "bad" bokeh, respectively. Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions."

Who can tell us more? please email the response if your not on the 'bloggerTeam' and I will continue a series of posts....
and this brings another question - should this have been two topics "Bokeh' and Hands. T let me know and I will adjust the list....

I have no clue if this is an example of Bokeh – but its got blur and color which please MY eye.  

Addendum from Comments:

Rebecca says, “I don't use a point and shoot but you would want to get your camera to a wide aperture - which means you either need to shoot in manual or aperture priority and select the lowest number you can for the aperture or use macro option. The lower the number the wider the aperture. Focus on something in the foreground, the further it is from the background the more out of focus the background will be. To get those circles of light, there needs to be points of light in the background such as Christmas lights, candles, water drops reflecting...etc. I have some examples on my photo blog: http://thedustycellarshoots.blogspot.com/search/label/Bokeh”  and “Ginger, your photo would be an example of motion blur - you caught the movement. Bokeh is a focal blur.”

DSC_4168So Rebecca is this more like it?  this was using a auto setting – will try your suggestion with a manual – oh, now I am nervous I never use manual settings.

Ginger V

Comments

  1. I don't use a point and shoot but you would want to get your camera to a wide aperture - which means you either need to shoot in manual or aperture priority and select the lowest number you can for the aperture or use macro option. The lower the number the wider the aperture. Focus on something in the foreground, the further it is from the background the more out of focus the background will be. To get those circles of light, there needs to be points of light in the background such as Christmas lights, candles, water drops reflecting...etc. I have some examples on my photo blog: http://thedustycellarshoots.blogspot.com/search/label/Bokeh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, your photo would be an example of motion blur - you caught the movement. Bokeh is a focal blur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca...you are so full of teaching for us :) thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca I have those too but the key words of 'pleasant to the eye' is missing..... will practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Ginger, you did it! Now use those manual settings, you'll learn soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned with this topic. thanks guys. I am excited to learn more in the future. Now I have the idea what's bokeh means in photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I have a suggestion? Since Jen is not available to choose every week's spotlight photos, maybe the host for the week will have to submit them to the town blogger team if she/he is available. If not, the town blogger team will do it. That will be on the next week team and the coming future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only managed this on a table with one object close and the other further away, is this what the technical name is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so helpful: thank you Rebecca, Ginger and all! I think I will do some practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Redlan, for me it doesn't work to ask the person who made the topic suggestion to assemble the photos. We would then have to publish the sign in and password to all that may (or may not) make the spotlight post - and then IF they say they will but then can't it casuses confusion. for my time I prefer to pull the photos as I go through mrLinky over Thursday/friday/Saturday, and then on Sunday evening take a few minutes to create the post. If someone wants to do this permanently this is no problem for me - but if I need to do it routinely, I prefer it to be on my terms. Do you want to commit to 6 months as the spotlight photo person?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great time management for choosing spotlight photos every week. I salute for the job well done. I am afraid I can't do the same job for 6 months. But I wish I can help. The town blogger team always do the great job as one family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Redlan your comments and occaisonal member voice has been a great contribution - only an old retired person has the time that I do to work on this stuff. but someday someone will have to step up and help.... keep contributing your photos and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, when I looked up the word Bokeh, I thought, Cool, I have gobs of blurry photos! Ha!
    What a great learning experience for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bokeh, and may even try to do some bokeh with direction (if I can get my act together today!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this will be fun! I have been out practicing this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think, in the comments below: